Research Training & Resources: Getting Started

Research & Engagement 

Getting Started 

What does the University of Arizona Require?


  1. Read the ABOR 1-118 and UArizona Consultation Policies
  2. Learn the laws and policies of the Tribe with whom you want to work/engage
  3. Determine the benefits/risks to the Tribe with whom you want to work/engage

Human Subjects Protection Program Submission


If your project falls under human research, the HSPP requires documentation of approval and additional information. You will be required to complete the Appendix for Native Americans and Indigenous Populations.

Sponsored Projects Submission


The principal investigator or project director is required to collect & retain documentation of consultation* with approval or pending approval from the Native Nation. Keep documentation for your records.

 *Documentation of tribal approval can include letters or electronic communications of support or approval, tribal resolutions, contracts, permits, or other forms of agreement or evidence  of consultation and approval.